Friday, November 25, 2016

Montblanc: Watchmaking Class with Master Watchmaker Julien Miribel.


It's been a while since I’ve attended a watchmaking class. So, when Montblanc offered me an opportunity to attend one conducted by Fine Watchmaker and Trainer, Julien Miribel, I jumped at the chance.


The class was conducted in the spacious Montblanc boutique at MBS. A short introduction of Montblanc's top-of-the-line Villeret collection by Julien.  

Julien showing me how it's done. We proceed to dismantle the parts, one component at a time. 

The Cal 16-15

I used to work with precision instruments but it’s nothing like watchmaking. In watchmaking one has to have steady hands and lots of patience. Glad I didn't lose this screw!


Julien showed me how polishing is done on a fine abrasive stone.


A mirror-finished on the bridge. It would be interesting to know the Ra value (surface roughness) of this finishing!


Bridges removed and you can see that both sides were very well finished.

    


Off goes the centre wheel.



Circular gaining on the surface.

Even on the underside of the small parts, where it's not visible, the perlage were done with great care!  


The balance assembly: The screws on the balance wheel can all be adjusted.


Every surface on the base plate was finished to perfection. The internal and external angles were well anglage.



Parts disassembled successfully! I felt a little nervous under the watchful eyes of a Master watchmaker ;)

Next, I proceed to assemble the parts back to the movement. I have a bit of problem trying to mount the balance assembly back even though there are locators on the balance cock to aid the alignment.   



Finally done... It’s always easy to disassemble anything (watches included) but to put it back and ensure it will work properly is something else. I had trouble assembling the balance assembly but with Julien’s patient guidance I got it right. Glad I made it!

I would like to thank Julien for his time as well as Gerard for the arrangement.

No comments: